From the end of June 2023 Compose V1 won’t be supported anymore and will be removed from all Docker Desktop versions.
Compose is a tool for defining and running multi-container Docker applications. With Compose, you use a YAML file to configure your application’s services. Then, with a single command, you create and start all the services from your configuration.
Compose works in all environments: production, staging, development, testing, as well as CI workflows. It also has commands for managing the whole lifecycle of your application:
- Start, stop, and rebuild services
- View the status of running services
- Stream the log output of running services
- Run a one-off command on a service
The key features of Compose that make it effective are:
- Have multiple isolated environments on a single host
- Preserves volume data when containers are created
- Only recreate containers that have changed
- Supports variables and moving a composition between environments
Follow the instructions on how to install Docker Compose.
Learn the key concepts of Docker Compose whilst building a simple Python web application.
Find out about the latest enhancements and bug fixes.