Docker Desktop for Mac 2.x release notes
This page contains release notes for Docker Desktop for Mac 2.x.
- Fixed an issue that caused Docker Desktop to crash on MacOS 11.0 (Big Sur) when VirtualBox was also installed. See docker/for-mac#4997open_in_new.
Docker Desktop 220.127.116.11 contains a Kubernetes upgrade. Your local Kubernetes cluster will be reset after installing this version.
- Users with a paid Docker subscription plan can now see the vulnerability scan report on the Remote repositories tab in Docker Desktop.
- Docker Desktop introduces a support option for users with a paid Docker subscription.
- Fixed local privilege escalation vulnerability caused by inadequate certificate checking. See CVE-2021-3162open_in_new.
- Linux kernel 5.4.39open_in_new
- Docker Compose CLI 1.0.1open_in_new
- Snyk v1.421.1open_in_new
- Go 1.15.2open_in_new
- Kubernetes 1.19.3open_in_new
- Renamed 'Run Diagnostics' to 'Get support'.
- Removed BlueStacks warning message. Fixes docker/for-mac#4863open_in_new.
- Made container start faster in cases where shared volumes have lots of files. Fixes docker/for-mac#4957open_in_new.
- File sharing: fixed changing ownership of read-only files. Fixes docker/for-mac#4989open_in_new, docker/for-mac#4964open_in_new.
- File sharing: generated
ATTRIBinotify events as well as
MODIFY. Fixes docker/for-mac#4962open_in_new.
- File sharing: returned
fallocatefor unsupported modes. Fixes
minio. Fixes docker/for-mac#4964open_in_new.
- File sharing: fixed a possible premature file handle close.
- When sharing Linux directories (
/bin, etc) with containers, Docker Desktop avoids watching paths in the host file system.
- When sharing a file into a container (e.g.
docker run -v ~/.gitconfig) Docker Desktop does not watch the parent directory. Fixes docker/for-mac#4981open_in_new, docker/for-mac#4975open_in_new.
- Fixed an issue related to NFS mounting. Fixes docker/for-mac#4958open_in_new.
- Allow symlinks to point outside of shared volumes. Fixes docker/for-mac#4862open_in_new.
- Diagnostics: avoid hanging when Kubernetes is in a broken state.
- Docker Desktop now supports
S_ISVTXin calls to
chmod(2)on shared filesystems. Fixes docker/for-mac#4943open_in_new.
Docker Desktop 18.104.22.168 contains a Kubernetes upgrade. Your local Kubernetes cluster will be reset after installing this version.
- Docker Compose CLI - 0.1.18open_in_new, enabling use of volumes with Compose and the Cloud through ECS and ACI.
- Docker introduces the new Images view in the Docker Dashboard. The images view allows users to view the Hub images, pull them and manage their local images on disk including cleaning up unwanted and unused images. To access the new Images view, from the Docker menu, select Dashboard > Images.
- Docker Desktop now enables BuildKit by default after a reset to factory defaults. To revert to the old
docker buildexperience, go to Preferences > Docker Engine and then disable the BuildKit feature.
- Amazon ECR Credential Helperopen_in_new
- Docker Desktop now uses much less CPU when there are lots of file events on the host and when running Kubernetes, see docker/roadmap#12open_in_new.
- Docker Desktop now uses gRPC-FUSE for file sharing by default. This uses much less CPU than osxfs, especially when there are lots of file events on the host. To switch back to
osxfs, go to Preferences > General and disable gRPC-FUSE.
- Docker 19.03.13open_in_new
- Docker Compose 1.27.4open_in_new
- Go 1.14.7open_in_new
- Alpine 3.12open_in_new
- Kubernetes 1.18.8open_in_new
- Qemu 4.2.0open_in_new
- Docker Desktop on macOS 10.13 is now deprecated.
- Removed the legacy Kubernetes context
docker-for-desktop. The context
docker-desktopshould be used instead. Fixes docker/for-win#5089open_in_new and docker/for-mac#4089open_in_new.
- Adding the application to the dock and clicking on it will launch the container view if Docker is already running.
- Added support for emulating Risc-V via Qemu 4.2.0.
- Removed file descriptor limit (
10240. We now rely on the kernel to impose limits via
- Fixed a Mac CPU usage bug by removing the serial console from
hyperkit, see docker/roadmap#12open_in_new. To open a shell in the VM use either
nc -U ~/Library/Containers/com.docker.docker/Data/debug-shell.sock.
- Copy container logs without ansi colors to clipboard. Fixes docker/for-mac#4786open_in_new.
- Fixed automatic start on log in. See [docker/for-mac#4877] and [docker/for-mac#4890].
- Fixed bug where the application won't start if the username is too long.
- Fixed a bug where adding directories like
/usrto the filesharing list prevents Desktop from starting. Fixes docker/for-mac#4488open_in_new
- Fixed application startup if
hostsis specified inside the Docker
daemon.json. See docker/for-win#6895open_in_new
- Docker Desktop always flushes filesystem caches synchronously on container start. See docker/for-mac#4943open_in_new.
- Compose-on-Kubernetes is no longer included in the Docker Desktop installer. You can download it separately from the compose-on-kubernetes release pageopen_in_new.
- There is a known issue when using
docker-composewith named volumes and gRPC FUSE: second and subsequent calls to
docker-compose upwill fail due to the volume path having the prefix
/host_mnt. To work around this issue, switch back to
osxfsin Settings. See docker/for-mac#4859open_in_new.
- There is a known issue when enabling Kubernetes where the settings UI fails to update the Kubernetes state. To work around this issue, close and re-open the window.
- There is a rare known issue when switching users where the images view continues to show the repositories of the previous user. To work around this issue, close and re-open the window.
- The new Cloud integration in Docker CLI makes it easy to run containers in the cloud using either Amazon ECS or Microsoft ACI. For more information, see Deploying Docker containers on ECS and Deploying Docker containers on Azure.
- Fixed automatic start on log in. See docker/for-mac#4877open_in_new and docker/for-mac#4890open_in_new
clock_gettime64system call returns
ENOSYSin i386 images. To work around this issue, disable
seccompby using the
--privilegedflag. See docker/for-win#8326open_in_new.
- Fixed a privilege escalation vulnerability in
com.docker.vmnetd. See CVE-2020-15360open_in_new
- Fixed an issue with startup when the Kubernetes certificates have expired. See docker/for-mac#4594open_in_new
- Fix an incompatibility between
hyperkitand osqueryopen_in_new which resulted in excessive
hyperkitCPU usage. See docker/for-mac#3499open_in_new
- Dashboard: Fixed containers logs which were sometimes truncated. Fixes docker/for-win#5954open_in_new
- Re-added device-mapper to the embedded Linux kernel. Fixes docker/for-mac#4549open_in_new.
hyperkiton newer Macs and newer versions of
Hypervisor.framework. Fixes docker/for-mac#4562open_in_new.
Docker Desktop introduces a new onboarding tutorial upon first startup. The Quick Start tutorial guides users to get started with Docker in a few easy steps. It includes a simple exercise to build an example Docker image, run it as a container, push and save the image to Docker Hub.
- Docker Compose 1.25.5open_in_new
- Go 1.13.10open_in_new
- Linux kernel 4.19.76open_in_new
- LinuxKit initopen_in_new, runcopen_in_new and containerdopen_in_new
- Reduced the size of the Docker Desktop installer from 708 MB to 456 MB.
- Fixed bug where containers disappeared from the UI when Kubernetes context is invalid. Fixes docker/for-win#6037open_in_new.
- Fixed a file descriptor leak in
vpnkit-bridge. Fixes docker/for-win#5841open_in_new.
- Added a link to the Edge channel from the UI.
- Made the embedded terminal resizable.
- Fixed a bug where diagnostic upload would fail if the username contained spaces.
- Fixed a bug where the Docker UI could be started without the engine.
- Switched from
virtio-blkto avoid an AHCI deadlock, see moby/hyperkit#94open_in_new and docker/for-mac#1835open_in_new.
- Fixed an issue where a container port could not be exposed on a specific host IP. See docker/for-mac#4209open_in_new.
- Removed port probing from dashboard, just unconditionally showing links to ports that should be available. Fixes docker/for-mac#4264open_in_new.
- Docker Desktop now shares
/var/foldersby default as it stores per-user temporary files and caches.
- Ceph support has been removed from Docker Desktop to save disk space.
- Fixed a performance regression when using shared volumes in 22.214.171.124. Fixes [docker/for-mac#4423].
- Removed dangling
/usr/local/bin/docker-machinesymlinks which avoids custom installs of Docker Machine being accidentally deleted in future upgrades. Note that if you have installed Docker Machine manually, then the install might have followed the symlink and installed Docker Machine in
/Applications/Docker.app. In this case, you must manually reinstall Docker Machine after installing this version of Docker Desktop. Fixes docker/for-mac#4208open_in_new.
- Kubernetes: Persistent volumes created by claims are now stored in the virtual machine. Fixes docker/for-win#5665open_in_new.
- Fixed an issue which caused Docker Desktop Dashboard to attempt connecting to all exposed ports inside a container. Fixes docker/for-mac#4264open_in_new.
Docker Desktop 126.96.36.199 contains a Kubernetes upgrade. Your local Kubernetes cluster will be reset after installing this version.
- Docker Compose 1.25.2open_in_new
- Kubernetes 1.15.5open_in_new
- Linux kernel 4.19.76
- QEMU 4.0.1open_in_new
Docker Desktop Dashboard: The new Docker Desktop Dashboard provides a user-friendly interface which enables you to interact with containers and applications, and manage the lifecycle of your applications directly from the UI. In addition, it allows you to access the logs, view container details, and monitor resource utilization to explore the container behavior. For detailed information about the new Dashboard UI, see Docker Desktop Dashboard.
Introduced a new user interface for the Docker Desktop Preferences menu.
The Restart, Reset, and Uninstall options are now available on the Troubleshoot menu.
Added the ability to start and stop existing Compose-based applications and view combined logs in the Docker Desktop Dashboard UI.
- Added missing completions for the
fishshell for Docker Compose. Fixes docker/for-mac#3795open_in_new.
- Fixed a bug that did not allow users to copy and paste text in the Preferences > Daemon window. Fixes docker/for-mac#3798open_in_new.
- Added support for
Expect: 100-continueheaders in the Docker API proxy. Some HTTP clients such as
curlsend this header when the payload is large, for example, when creating containers. Fixes moby/moby#39693open_in_new.
- Added a loading overlay to the Settings and Troubleshoot windows to prevent editing conflicts.
- Deactivated the Reset Kubernetes button when Kubernetes is not activated.
- Improved the navigation in Settings and Troubleshoot UI.
- Fixed a bug in the UEFI boot menu that sometimes caused Docker Desktop to hang during restart. Fixes docker/for-mac#2655open_in_new and docker/for-mac#3921open_in_new.
- Docker Desktop now allows users to access the host’s SSH agent inside containers. Fixes docker/for-mac#410open_in_new
- Docker Machine is no longer included in the Docker Desktop installer. You can download it separately from the Docker Machine releasesopen_in_new page.
- Fixed an issue that caused VMs running on older hardware with macOS Catalina to fail on startup with the error
processor does not support desired secondary processor-based controls.
- Fixed port forwarding when containers are using
- Fixed a container start error when a container has more than one port with an arbitrary or not-yet-configured external port number. For example,
docker run -p 80 -p 443 nginx. Fixes docker/for-win#4935open_in_new and docker/compose#6998open_in_new.
- Fixed an issue that occurs when sharing overlapping directories.
- Fixed a bug that prevented users from changing the location of the VM disk image.
- Docker Desktop does not inject
inotifyevents on directories anymore as these can cause mount points to disappear inside containers. Fixes docker/for-mac#3976open_in_new.
- Fixed an issue that caused Docker Desktop to fail on startup when there is an incomplete Kubernetes config file.
- Fixed an issue where attempts to log into Docker through Docker Desktop could sometimes fail with the
Incorrect authentication credentialserror. Fixes docker/for-mac#4010open_in_new.
When you start a Docker Compose application and then start a Docker App which has the same name as the Compose application, Docker Desktop displays only one application on the Dashboard. However, when you expand the application, containers that belong to both applications are displayed on the Dashboard.
When you deploy a Docker App with multiple containers on Kubernetes, Docker Desktop displays each Pod as an application on the Dashboard.
Docker Desktop 188.8.131.52 contains a Kubernetes upgrade. Note that your local Kubernetes cluster will be reset after installing this version.
- Docker 19.03.4open_in_new
- Kubernetes 1.14.7open_in_new
- Go 1.12.10open_in_new
- Kitematic 0.17.9open_in_new
Docker Desktop now enables you to sign into Docker Hub using two-factor authentication.
- All binaries included in Docker Desktop are now notarized so that they can run on macOS Catalina. For more information, see Notarization Requirement for Mac Softwareopen_in_new.
Docker Desktop 184.108.40.206 contains a Kubernetes upgrade. Note that your local Kubernetes cluster will be reset after installing this version.
- Docker 19.03.2open_in_new
- Kubernetes 1.14.6open_in_new
- Go 1.12.9open_in_new
- Docker Machine 0.16.2open_in_new
Note that you must sign in and create a Docker ID in order to download Docker Desktop.
- Docker 19.03.1open_in_new
- Docker Compose 1.24.1open_in_new
- Kubernetes 1.14.3open_in_new
- Compose on Kubernetes 0.4.23open_in_new
- Docker Machine 0.16.1open_in_new
- linuxkit v0.7open_in_new
- Linux Kernel 4.9.184
- Kitematic 0.17.6open_in_new
- Qemu 4.0.0open_in_new for cross compiling for ARM
- Alpine 3.10open_in_new
- Docker Credential Helpers 0.6.3open_in_new
- Hyperkit v0.20190802open_in_new
- Selecting the ‘Experimental features’ checkbox in the Daemon Preferences menu turns on experimental features for Docker daemon and Docker CLI.
- Improved the reliability of
com.docker.osxfs traceperformance profiling command. Users can now run the
com.docker.osxfs trace --summaryoption for a high-level summary of operations, instead of receiving a trace of all operations.
- Docker Desktop now supports large lists of DNS resource records on Mac. Fixes docker/for-mac#2160open_in_new.
Experimental features provide early access to future product functionality. These features are intended for testing and feedback only as they may change between releases without warning or can be removed entirely from a future release. Experimental features must not be used in production environments. Docker does not offer support for experimental features.
Docker Desktop Community 220.127.116.11 contains the following experimental features.
- Docker App: Docker App is a CLI plugin that helps configure, share, and install applications. For more information, see Working with Docker App.
- Docker Buildx: Docker Buildx is a CLI plugin for extended build capabilities with BuildKit. For more information, see the Build page.
- Docker Desktop now allows users to expose privileged UDP ports. docker/for-mac#3775open_in_new
- Fixed an issue where running some Docker commands can fail if you are not using Credential Helpers. docker/for-mac#3785open_in_new
- Changed the host's kubernetes context so that
docker run -v .kube:kube ... kubectlworks.
- Restricted the
cluster-adminrole on local Kubernetes cluster to
- Reduced the VM startup time. swap is not created every time a virtual machine boots.
- Fixed Kubernetes installation with VPNkit subnet.
- Fixed a bug where the process output was not redirected to stdout when gathering diagnostics on Windows, which sometimes resulted in a crash.
/etc/machine-idto the virtual machine. Fixes docker/for-mac#3554open_in_new.
- Docker Desktop does not send DNS queries for
docker-desktop.<domain>every 10s. It now relies on the host’s DNS domain search order rather than trying to replicate it inside the VM.
- Removed the ability to log in using email address as a username as the Docker command line does not support this.
- Docker Desktop now allows running a Docker registry inside a container. Fixes docker/for-mac#3611open_in_new.
- Fixed a stability issue with the DNS resolver.
- Docker Desktop truncates UDP DNS responses which are over 512 bytes in sizes.
- Fixed port 8080 that was used on localhost when starting Kubernetes. Fixes docker/for-mac#3522open_in_new.
- Improved error messaging: Docker Desktop does not prompt users to run diagnostics, or to reset to factory default when it is not appropriate.
- Kubernetes: Docker Desktop now uses the default maximum number of pods for kubelet. docker/for-mac#3453open_in_new.
- Fixed DockerHelper crash. docker/for-mac#3470open_in_new.
- Fixed binding of privileged ports with specified IP. docker/for-mac#3464open_in_new
- Fixed service log collection in diagnostics.
- Docker Desktop now gathers
/etc/hoststo help with diagnostics.
- When two services have a common exposed port, Docker Desktop now exposes the available ports for the second service. docker/for-mac#3438open_in_new.
- Docker Desktop ensures localhost resolves to 127.0.0.1. This is related to docker/for-mac#2990open_in_new, docker/for-mac#3383open_in_new.
Bug fixes and minor changes
- Add 18.09 missing daemon options
- New version scheme
- Removed support of AUFS
- Removed support of OSX 10.11
Bug fixes and minor changes
- Fix appearance in dark mode for OSX 10.14 (Mojave)
- VPNKit: Improved scalability of port forwarding. Related to docker/for-mac#2841open_in_new
- VPNKit: Limit the size of the UDP NAT table. This ensures port forwarding and regular TCP traffic continue even when running very chatty UDP protocols.
- Ensure Kubernetes can be installed when using a non-default internal IP subnet.
- Fix panic in diagnose