About Docker CEEstimated reading time: 2 minutes
Docker Community Edition (CE) is ideal for developers and small teams looking to get started with Docker and experimenting with container-based apps. Docker CE has two update channels, stable and edge:
- Stable gives you reliable updates every quarter.
- Edge gives you new features every month.
For more information about Docker CE, see Docker Community Edition.
Docker CE is available on multiple platforms, on cloud and on-premises. Use the following tables to choose the best installation path for you.
|Docker for Mac (macOS)|
|Docker for Windows (Microsoft Windows 10)|
|Platform||Docker Community Edition|
|Amazon Web Services|
|Platform||x86_64 / amd64||ARM||ARM64 / AARCH64||IBM Power (ppc64le)||IBM Z (s390x)|
Time-based release schedule
Starting with Docker 17.03, Docker uses a time-based release schedule.
- Docker CE Edge releases generally happen monthly.
- Docker CE Stable releases generally happen quarterly, with patch releases as needed.
Updates, and patches
- A given Docker CE Stable release receives patches and updates for one month after the next Docker CE Stable release.
- A given Docker CE Edge release does not receive any patches or updates after a subsequent Docker CE Edge or Stable release.
After setting up Docker, you can learn the basics over at Getting started with Docker.docker, installation, install, docker ce, docker ee, docker editions, stable, edge